Miguel Toribio-Mateas – Chair of Council
BSc (Hons) Nutritional Medicine, MSc Clinical Neuroscience, FBANT, CNHC Registered
- Multidisciplinary academic background includes a first class degrees in Nutritional Medicine (BSc Honours), International Business (MSc) and Systems Complexity (PgDip), as well as extensive professional training in functional medicine and ageing science.
- Completed an MSc in Clinical Neuroscience at the University of Roehampton in 2016 with distinction on his laboratory research project on mitochondrial transcription factor activation in murine neural stem cells.
- Previously held senior consulting and education positions for some of the world’s leading scientific, technical and medical publishers, including LexisNexis, Wolters Kluwer Health Medical Research / Ovid, and Springer Science / Nature.
- In 2016 Miguel was awarded a Santander Bank transdisciplinary doctoral research scholarship to fund his professional doctorate on patient-reported outcome measures and their clinical application by healthcare professionals to support their patients’ brain health upstream from the gut.
- Miguel is also working as Innovation Consultant at the Bowels and Brains™️ Lab at the London Agri-Food Innovation Clinic (LAFIC). LAFIC is a European Regional Development Fund-sponsored research programme where Miguel is lead investigator in a series of human interventions to assess the effects of food-based sources of probiotic microbes on mood, alertness and cognitive function. The Bowels and Brains™️ Lab and LAFIC are hosted by London South Bank University, where Miguel is a visiting scholar and guest researcher in psychobiotics.
- Miguel works in corporate health, healthcare consulting, and is guest lecturer in the UK and internationally. He also runs specialist gut and brain health clinics in London.
- BANT Chair
- Strategy Team Chair
- Stakeholder engagement
- Lead evidence-based practice initiatives
Sarah Green – Deputy Chair and Rules, Regs and Stakeholder Engagement Director
Dip ION, BSc NT, IFMCP, mBANT and CNHC Registered
- Sarah studied Nutritional Therapy at the University of Bedfordshire, the Institute for Optimum Nutrition and the University of West London.
- She is a Certified Practitioner with the Institute for Functional Medicine. These postgraduate studies included Advanced Practice Modules in Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice®, Gastro Intestinal, Detox, Immune, Hormone, Cardiometabolic and Energy Regulation
- Sarah runs a private Nutritional Therapy consultancy. She has extensive experience designing and delivering healthy eating and lifestyle talks in schools and in the community, for local authority social prescribing. She is a facilitator for the Institute for Functional Medicine Advancing Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice courses in the UK and is an international corporate speaker.
- Her previous background is in corporate finance. Sarah qualified as an Associate of the Chartered Institute of Bankers and an Associate Member of the Association of Corporate Treasurers.
- Deputy Chair of BANT
- Regulatory and Stakeholder Steering Group leader
- Political Engagement Group leader
Barbara Powell – Membership Director
BSc (Hons) Nutritional Therapy, BSc (Hons) Mathematics, mBANT, NTCC, CNHC Registered
- Graduated from CNELM (University of Middlesex) with BSc (Hons) in 2003
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics, Cardiff University
- Practises as NT in Epsom, Surrey
- Worked P/T at private clinic in Richmond, Surrey and London Victoria
- Has worked with Education Authorities, Residential Home, Healthcare Commission Private Diet Clinic, Supplement company
- Worked at Institute for Optimum Nutrition (5 years) as Module Leader, Academic Tutor, Programme Leader and Lecturer
- Previously background is in Retail and IT Project Management
- Growing BANT membership
- Chair of the Membership Committee
- Chair of the Professional Practice Committee
Daniel O’Shaughnessy – Communications Director
Dip ION, FdSc, mBANT and CNHC Registered
- Graduated from the Institute for Optimum Nutrition in 2012
- Runs own Nutritional Therapy Consultancy and delivers training courses in Addiction & Nutrition
- Co-founder of a luxury international retreat company
- Previous career in Substance Misuse and Addiction working for 8 years in a clinic setting and for government projects. Gained his first BSc (Hons) in Criminal Justice with Law
- Communications Director
- BANT PR and media contact
- Support BANT communications initiatives for improved publicity and recognition of BANT and BANT members
Satu Jackson – Operations Director
MSc Personalised Nutrition, DipION, CertNLP, mBANT, mIFM, CNHC Registered
- Graduate from the University of Middlesex/Centre for Nutrition Education and Lifestyle Management (CNELM) with MSc in Personalised Nutrition in 2014 and from Institute for Optimum Nutrition in 2011 (DipION, FdSc)
- Satu further focuses on Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice® (AFMCP) and has a keen interest in gastrointestinal wellbeing, healthy longevity and performance nutrition
- Satu practices Nutritional Therapy in Hertfordshire and works with CNELM as a Module Leader, with keen interest to support graduates to achieve success with their nutrition sciences and nutritional therapy qualifications
- Previously Satu gained first class BA degree and has a successful 25+ year career in corporate world where she held roles in sales, marketing, operations and business leadership nationally and internationally, managing growth, business change and global transformation programmes for improved efficiencies and profits.
- Strategy Team co-chair
- Audit and Assurance Team
- Budget setting and annual reporting
- Review of performance targets against strategic objectives and operational targets
Abir Hamza-Goodacre – Community and Partnerships Director
BSc (Hons) Nutritional Therapy, MSc International Development, Administration & Planning, mBANT, CNHC Registered
- Graduated from UWL with a BSc in Nutritional Therapy in 2012
- Background in running her own small businesses, offering private consultations, design and delivery of nutrition/cooking courses and talks at schools and businesses
- Abir gained her MSc in international poverty and aid work, specialising in community-based projects
- BANT Networks Team Lead since October 2015, developing the Local Networks and establishing the Regional Branch Meetings initiative. Abir will also be overseeing the establishment of the new BANT Worldwide Branch Committees aimed at supporting overseas members in their practices
- More recently Abir has taken on the Membership Support Manager role, which is enabling the Membership department to expand its support for members
- Establish ‘Nutritional Therapy in the Community’ projects
- Develop partnerships with targeted organisations and individuals to support BANT’s work
- Expand the reach and scope of the BANT Networks
Isabel Hemmings – Clinical Governance Director
- Currently undertaking MSc in Nutritional Therapy at the University of Worcester, previously achieved BA (Hons) in Political Theory and Institutions (Liverpool University) and MA in Health Services Studies (Leeds University).
- Isabel has a thirty-year career in NHS management including 15 years working at Board level as a Director of an NHS Trust. Her career spanned management of hospital and community-based health services, including mental health services and services for older people.
- Isabel was Director of Operations at Sheffield Children’s NHS Foundation Trust, a specialist NHS Trust, with a strong reputation and high performance, which provides healthcare to children and young people across the Yorkshire region and nationally. The role included responsibility for organisational strategy, partnership-working and strategy, and collaboration with other health and social care partners to improve the health and lives of children locally.
- She is a Trustee of a number of local charities in Sheffield, mainly supporting vulnerable people, and works in a voluntary capacity as a Refugee Support Worker with the British Red Cross.
- With a strong interest in health promotion, Isabel is undertaking an MSc in Nutritional Therapy at the University of Worcester and is highly committed to the much-needed paradigm shift towards prevention in the NHS.
- Lead Clinical Governance work stream
- Support BANT Professional Supervision reach among members