Post End Date
RSSB is a not for profit organisation that works on behalf of companies that have a duty to safely run passenger trains, freight trains and maintain the infrastructure of GB rail. These duty holders have a legal obligation to be members of RSSB in order to help develop understanding and manage projects that no one organisation may develop on their own in order to manage health, safety and associated cross industry risks.
RSSB has around 300 highly educated staff, including experts in a wide range of technical disciplines and other professionals such as project managers, meeting facilitators and support staff. The focus of RSSB’s work is principally to support the industry in making cross-industry decisions where cooperation is required.
The role of Health and Wellbeing Specialist is concerned with the Workforce Health and Wellbeing Programme (WHWP). The WHWP has a remit from the RSSB Board to facilitate a Railway Health and Wellbeing strategy to enhance health and wellbeing management. The Railway Health and Wellbeing strategy is supported by a ‘Health and Wellbeing Policy Group’ made up of industry professionals that guide it.
The programme is aimed at developing solutions, resources and guidance to assist member companies health and wellbeing activities through a process of stakeholder engagement, research, development and analysis. The post holder will provide technical input to the WHWP and deliver tasks within the programme, in time and to RSSB’s members’ satisfaction.
This role will make use of and enhance the individual’s technical/health experience and competencies on health and wellbeing issues in order to develop useful materials. The role will provide opportunity to undertake research of numerous health issues and create reports that provide a coherent and convincing position on important health and wellbeing issues. The delivery of these reports will require good knowledge of health and wellbeing management within business and ability to write reports, guidance documents and develop tools to inform railway professionals.
The successful candidate will undertake project tasks at the cross-industry level that enhances the health and wellbeing of railway employees and supports RSSB’s membership. You will also provide technical expertise on health & wellbeing issues to advise, guide and develop useful materials on projects and tasks that ensure success of the RSSB Workforce Health Wellbeing Programme (WHWP).
During the development and delivery of these materials the individual will need to understand and convince a diverse range of stakeholders to drive improvements in health and wellbeing management whilst at the same time respecting the views and priorities of others. The stakeholder engagement work will require the individual to be able to influence and communicate to individuals and groups at meetings, workshops and conferences.
RSSB prides itself on technical and competent people and there will be opportunities for the health and wellbeing specialist to stretch their technical, communication and project management capabilities within this role.
- Provide technical support to RSSB members as an Employee Wellbeing Practitioner by leading the research and development of projects, standards and initiatives for the Employee Wellbeing Theme.
- Develop and manage the link between the WHWP and other relevant RSSB departments and initiatives so that RSSB has a coordinated approach and expertise from the project team is made available to other groups.
- In particular work with members to develop an employee wellbeing strategy and change programme. You will play a leading role in the development of this theme area and being the industry go to point for knowledge leadership.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with relevant industry stakeholders and sector groups so that customer needs are recognised. Understand the cooperative and supporting function that RSSB provides and look to guide RSSB membership toward effective action so that customer needs are realised to their satisfaction.
- With particular development to the Employee Wellbeing Specialist area maintain an up to date knowledge of health and wellbeing within and outside the railway industry, nationally and internationally.
- Assimilate and evaluate relevant information from a range of sources in order to translate it into a robust and defensible intelligence that will form output from the programme.
- Write high quality reports, guidance and tools to inform stakeholder activity.
- Be prepared to present the activities of the WHWP at industry events such as the Trade union safety representatives’ conference.
- Lead stakeholder meetings such as the Healthy Behaviours Group and other specific working groups. Support industry knowledge development and capability within this area to inform company best practice
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- As an Employee Wellbeing Specialist with more than 2 years’ experience in fields such as nutritional therapy, sleep, exercise or general employee health and wellbeing
- Demonstrable ability to work at a strategic level to improve organisational health and wellbeing performance.
- Qualifications and professional body membership within one or more of the identified fields of knowledge.
In return RSSB offer excellent benefits including:
- Annual performance related bonus
- 30 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Private health and dental care plans
- Travel subsidy
The closing date for this position is Thursday 13 June at 23:59
Interviews will take place on week commencing 24 June
Applications that do not include a cover letter will not be considered
Thank you for your interest in RSSB – we look forward to receiving your application at this link –