There are 3 types of full membership:
- Practising – Fully qualified Nutritional Therapists, subject to Continuing Professional Development, fully insured, registered with the CNHC and on the Practitioner Listing
- Non-Practising – Fully qualified Nutritional Therapist, subject to Continuing Professional Development but not actively practising and therefore not registered with the CNHC and not insured to practise.
- Discounted – Fully qualified Nutritional Therapists over 65 (at a discounted rate) subject to Continuing Professional Development, fully insured and on the Practitioner Listing
Full members have full voting rights and the option to be included in the Register of Practitioners.
Full member designation – MBANT
Fellowship status conferred on BANT members who have made considerable contributions to the organisation. Fellowship status and Membership to be decided by a Nominations Committee. Fellow members are subject to Continuing Professional Development, have full voting rights and the option to be included in the Practitioner Listing.
Fellow member designation – FBANT.
Any student enrolled on a nutrition/food science course with a NTEC accredited Training Provider that is recognised by BANT, and on completion of the course will be eligible to become a Full Member of BANT. Student Members may apply to become a Full Member of BANT on successful completion of their course once this has been ratified by their training provider. BANT Student Members are not permitted to practise Nutritional Therapy until they have met the criteria for, and been accepted as, a Full Member. Doing so may result in the student being suspended from BANT pending an investigation. Student members do not have voting rights.
Associate membership is an interim category of membership leading to Full membership. Associate members will all need to complete 3 Online Learning Zone modules and some will also have to complete 2 case studies to demonstrate effective clinical practice or a full portfolio of evidence. This category of membership is only valid for 6 months. Associate members do not have voting rights.
Associate member designation – BANT (Assoc.)
Affiliate Membership provides an opportunity for other health professionals who sympathise with the under pinning principles of Nutritional Therapy as supported by BANT and who want to learn and practice within the same model as BANT Registered Nutritional Therapists (RNTs) to become members of BANT. Applicants will range from Medical Practitioners, Dental Surgeons, Pharmacists, Dieticians, Osteopaths, Chiropractors, Opticians, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Psychotherapists, Acupuncturists, Counsellors, Complementary Therapists registered with the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council, and many other health practitioners.
Honorary Fellow Members
Appointment for Honorary Fellow Membership must be made by Council. Any recommendations to be submitted once annually by a Nominations Committee.
- Nominee is not a member of BANT.
- Nominee has either promoted the science and application of nutrition or has provided exceptional service to BANT. Honorary status may be conferred on individuals from any profession and is not limited to UK residents. Honorary Fellows do not have voting rights.